Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Small Readers: We need more nuts by Jonathan Fenske

"Manic Dr. Seuss" is how I would describe this hilarious new easy reader.

A nut enthusiast invites her audience to count with her as she juggles, tosses, and exuberantly collects nuts - all stored in the mouth of her disgruntled counterpart. Finally, having had enough, the disgruntled friend ends the nut-fest.

Fenske's art just pops off the page - every line of the smaller squirrel's body vibrates and I was hysterical with laughter, especially at some of the sly scenes like the squirrel talking to herself with hand puppets. It's rare to find easy readers with genuine humor that kids can appreciate, especially when they're focused on the mechanics of reading, but this one fits the bill.

I've been reading it to staff ever since our copy arrived and I can't wait to add it to other Fenske titles I use in my book club.

"We're going nuts for nuts today!"

Verdict: A must-have for your easy reader section - buy two or three or four or more!

ISBN: 9780515159134; Published 2017 by Penguin Young Readers; 2 paperback copies received from publisher for review (added to Library on the Go), 1 hardcover purchased (so far) for the library

Nominate me for Cybils!

3 comments:

Jonathan Fenske said...

Hi, Jennifer! I just wanted to tell you how grateful I am for your review of WE NEED MORE NUTS! If a reader has a good time and a good chuckle, I feel I have done my job. Thank you so much for your kind words about my work, and for sharing those words with others...it means a ton! All the best. Jonathan

Jennifer said...

I've got the sequel on my shelf right now! Can't wait to read it (and keep unexpectedly yelling WE'RE GOING NUTS FOR NUTS TODAY at my colleagues) =D

Your easy readers are absolute winners with my book club readers!

Jonathan Fenske said...

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I hope you "go nuts" for the sequel, too!