Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hiccupotamus by Steve Smallman, illustrated by Ada Grey

Tiger Tales pretty reliably produces cute, colorful fare. Usually I pick their books to fill in gaps in the collection or for book-hungry toddlers, but every once in a while one comes along that stands up and yells "behold my cuteness!" and I do.

A little mouse gets the fun started with some squeaky sounds and then all the animals join in with taps, tweets, hoots and more. But who's the real star of the musical show? Why, it's the hiccuping hippo of course, who started everything with her hiccup bubbles!

Naughtier children will doubtless attribute the bubbles to *cough* another source, but toddlers will happily bounce along with the rhythm and giggle over the myriad of silly sounds. The vibrant, scratchy illustrations are the perfect background to this light and frothy story.

Verdict: While I usually pick up Tiger Tales when I have some spare budget, this is one that will definitely be at the top of my order list. Recommended.

ISBN: 9781589251717; Published 2015 by Tiger Tales: Borrowed from another library in my consortium

No comments: