Saturday, February 27, 2016

This week at the library; or, Vacation all gone

I have no idea if these ever dried, but the teens had
fun - this is at my outreach site for middle school.
What's Happening in my Head and at the Library
  • Monday
    • Last day of vacation. I was going to do things and I mostly slept all day instead. Jess got the fun of a Monday night during the full moon and with a cancelled storytime because Pattie was out of town.
  • Tuesday
    • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (sub for Pattie)
    • Middle School Madness (off-site)
    • I just borrowed my outreach storytime for toddlers, then belatedly remembered I needed a craft. I had the kids glue a die cut frog to a stick then poke it up a hole in a plate - hoppy frog on a lily pad. Then I spent a couple hours painting with the middle schoolers. There were over 30, all voicing their delight at being liberated from school at the top of their lungs. Literally, at least half of them screamed and yelled nonstop for over an hour. How do they have the lung power? I was hoarse after storytime this morning!
  • Wednesday
    • Winter Wigglers (Jess)
    • February Outreach: Let's Move it (5 sessions)
    • I had Jess just do a block party with everything that's going on. I hope I haven't caught anything from the kids, but I am not optimistic. Even more hoarse, but we had fun. One of my aides is down with suspected pinkeye. We refused to let her enter the workroom.
  • Thursday
    • Books 'n' Babies (Pattie)
    • Messy Art Club: Paint
    • It's definitely pinkeye. I don't know what happened today but there was an insane number of people in the library. Oddly, that did not translate to people at Messy Art Club, which was relatively small and relaxed (except for several kids who broke down in hysterical tears and others who decided to turn it into paper airplane club and test-the-librarian's-patience club). Then I remembered that I told a teacher she could bring her high school class tomorrow morning so I better be at work on time. My feet hurt.
  • Friday
    • Never have I been so grateful for the end of a week. Ok, that may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but I really need to start getting more sleep. I'm really bad about proper eating and sleeping, especially on vacation, which doesn't make coming back to a huge workload any easier.
Projects in Progress or Completed
  • Survival
  • Cleaning out email, sorting through all the new display things I got and updating displays and magazines, cleaning off desk, etc.
  • Newsletter and calendar
What the kids are reading: A selection
  • Asch birthday for moon (it's back in print so I can get it)
  • Losing teeth
  • Easy readers
  • Wimpy Kid is suddenly insanely popular and we're hauling all the extra summer copies out of storage.
  • High school students looking at picture books for a project
  • Someone saw our facebook page and came in to look at the toy bags!
  • Bone
  • More Bone.
  • I think Bone and Wimpy Kid must have been in the Scholastic book order or something.

No comments: