Saturday, July 18, 2015

This week at the library; The Highs and the Lows

This is my favorite nasturtium flower. It's a peach melba
and started out a pale cream and now is darkening to have
peach tinges. Lovely.
What's going on; in my head and at the library
  • My mom has been visiting me for the past couple weeks. I sent her back home to Texas on Monday, just as the heat wave rolled in, we had a massive storm, and all the electricity went out. Sigh. I feel like I should still be on vacation...
  • New furniture and stuff for the circulation workroom arrived, which meant more hauling of things to other places and there is a ton of cardboard dumped behind my desk for the building challenge next week. It's exciting but exhausting.
  • It's data day! Preliminary report data came out and my department did extremely well, as far as numbers go, last year.
  • The slug war continues. I took out TEN gloves full of slugs one night. TEN. That's at least 50 slugs!
  • My first successful author visit! Ruth McNally Barshaw was amazing and the kids absolutely loved her. I'm now scheming to get her back for a "real" author visit (i.e. not just making her teach adoring fans how to draw cartoons for two hours straight) in conjunction with the schools...
  • I'm exhausted and there is paint on my pants.
Some Projects Completed/In Progress This Week
  • Planning fall 2015 through spring 2016, met with various staff, still waiting for final planning permissions.
  • Completed The Illustrated Shelving Guide and Other Directives From the Overlord
  • Still scheduling and evaluating staff
  • Working on 500 Books Before Middle School
  • Misc. small tasks and cleaning off my desk
  • Put together all the pieces for my "mystery nonfiction pics" display in August
Programs
Ongoing and New Stealth Programs and Displays
  • A Harry Potter read-alike that features a girl. We couldn't figure this stumper out! I suggested Circle of Magic and Theodosia, but neither was the right book. The patron has promised to tell me what it was when her friend gets back to her! (turned out to be Shannon Messenger)
  • 39 Clues
  • Isle of the Lost - I totally missed this and ALL the kids want to read it (well, 5 at least have placed holds). I have ordered it.
  • Paper towns, Scorch trials
  • Masterminds
  • Lexiles. We hates them my precioussss, we hates them.
  • Something like Harry Potter with magic and adventure....but I like fairies....Violet Wings and Faeries of Dreamdark
  • Scary stories - Preller and Poblocki
  • Libby of High Hopes - could not find it anywhere! I swear I saw it just a few days ago...
  • Power Rangers
  • Lego books
  • Many requests for "good books"

No comments: