Friday, July 11, 2014

Puddle Pug by Kim Norman, illustrated by Keika Yamaguchi

I didn't think I'd like this at all - I didn't care for the pastel colors and the white space on the cover (or should that be blue space?), I'm not into the "ugly cute" thing, and I don't like pugs. But I was won over despite all my objections and I can't wait to introduce this adorable book to my patrons.

The story opens with "Percy was a puddle pug. He loved puddles of every sort" and goes on to introduce us to all his favorite puddles, with him delightedly bouncing through the mud and water of course. He even makes a map of all his favorite spots. But something is missing...then he discovers the best puddle of all! There's just one problem; it's already occupied with a family of pigs and while the piglets would love a new friend, mama pig does NOT think pugs belong in her puddle. Percy persists though and finally is welcomed to join the plump and pink family of porkers in their perfect puddle.

The art is light hues and pastels, with plenty of cuteness; all the animals have adorable expressions and are round and cute. There's plenty of character not just in the animals but in the different puddles themselves and the little things that make them all unique. The art is much better than the cover shows and there's a lot more detail and background than I expected. I think a less simplified cover would have encouraged me to pick this up sooner.

Verdict: This has a sweet little message, but it's not really didactic. It's mostly just a fun, cute story - the perfect addition to any library collection. Give it a chance and it will definitely repay the time.

ISBN: 9781454904366; Published 2014 by Sterling; Borrowed from another library in my consortium; Added to the library's order list

No comments: