Friday, September 2, 2011

Batman the brave and the bold: Night of the Mummy by Tracey West, illustrated by Dan Panosian

Stone Arch's Batman chapter books have been very, very popular at my library. I was looking for something similar, and unwilling to buy their other series. I have yet to meet a 7 or 8 year old who even knows who Green Hornet or The Flash are, let alone cares. I was excited when I saw Penguin had a series of beginning chapter books based on the popular cartoon show Batman the Brave and the Bold. We love that show at my library. I love that show. It's funny! It's exciting! It's got Batman!

Unfortunately, this book has only the last item mentioned. Minimal black and white illustrations add nothing to a text-heavy and clunky story. It reads like a script, rather than a story. For example, "Batman and Green Arrow jumped down to the floor. 'Looks like the score is heroes, one, Fun Haus, zero,' Green Arrow joked. Batman heard a beeping sound inside his helmet. A message was coming through, and Batman listened."

Clunk, clunk, clunk. This is too long for fans of the show and kids wanting a chapter book about Batman and the writing is full of unnecessary descriptions. The few black and white illustrations add little to the story and don't keep the reader's attention.

Verdict: Disappointing. Not recommended. There are more Stone Arch Batman books I don't have and they're doing Superman now, so I'll add those instead.

ISBN: 9780448453392; Published January 2010 by Grosset and Dunlap; Borrowed from the library

No comments: