Saturday, June 4, 2011

This week at the library; or, here today, gone tomorrow!

This is a really short week at the library! We had Monday off; I spent my three-day weekend shopping for summer supplies, sleeping, having Teen Titans marathons with my friend Sara, knitting, and cleaning my apartment top to bottom.

Tuesday
  • Jackson Elementary visit in the morning - I took about the same stuff as I did to Tibbets. The three visits I posted are pretty typical of each of the places I visit, middle school, parochial school, and elementary school, so I won't be posting any more specific school visit lists. Jackson kids are very enthusiastic, which is nice, and I know lots of them because the school is only a few blocks from the library! I was delighted to hear that, b/c so many kids asked for Elephant and Piggie after my visit last year, they now have many Elephant and Piggie books in their library!
  • Program meeting, staff meeting, and lots of budgeting and getting my June order lists ready.
Wednesday
  • St. Patrick's school in the morning - first time I've done them in groups, I usually go to individual classrooms. I did K-4th and 5th - 8th. One the one hand, I didn't have as much time with each group, on the other hand, I didn't have to confront the stare of death from the 7th-8th graders, because the 5th/6th were there to liven things up! I only see 7th-8th at the parochial schools, so it's difficult to switch gears and booktalk to an older crowd, especially when younger ones are with them. It also didn't help that I was a few minutes late...
  • Tried to get three weeks worth of work done in one afternoon and evening - thankfully it was a quiet evening on the desk and I got a lot of publicity done.
Thursday - Monday
  • Vacation! Several librarians have told me they go on vacation right before summer reading, to relax before the big push. I think I forgot a couple parts of this though...like having everything done first (simply couldn't get it all done and I still have a school visit) and I'm going home to Austin which...will probably be kind of hectic, since most of my family is playing apartment merry-go-round. Hope I have somewhere to sleep! Oh well. These are the books I took with me to finish reading:
  • My Forever Friends by Julie Bowe
  • Bloomswell Diaries by Louis Buitendag
  • Under the green hill by Laura Sullivan
  • Emerald Atlas by John Stephens
  • Tale of two castles by Gail Carson Levine
  • Angel in my pocket by Ilene Cooper

No comments: