Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood, illustrated by Renata Liwska

A group of softly drawn little animals in shades of brown and gray illustrate different kinds of quiet, from scary and sad moments, to peaceful and happy experiences.

This one just didn't grab me. I'm not generally up for "concept" books at the best of times and the limited colors and subdued mini stories in each picture didn't attract me. I can see where it's supposed to be humorous, but it didn't tickle my funny bone. It might make a nice bedtime book or possibly a good interactive discussion book for storytime. One odd note - why didn't they put the author or illustrator on the cover? Very confusing.


Verdict: Not recommended by me, but everyone else under the sun likes it. I'm not sure why. I'm more interested in seeing the upcoming Loud Book she's doing.



ISBN: 9780547215679; Published April 2010 by Houghton Mifflin; Review copy provided by the publisher for Cybils

No comments: