Monday, November 3, 2008

My little girl by Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas, illustrated by Julia Denos

Yes, I know what everybody thinks about celebrity picturebooks. Actually, I had to look up Tim McGraw on wikipedia to figure out who he was, although I had guessed he was country music from the hat. I don't like country music.

I didn't really like this story either. A dad promises his little girl they're going to do something special, which turns out to be...just spending the day together. Yes, I know spending time together is important and all that, but that was a nasty thing to do to your kid. Of course by the end of the day it was the best time ever, etc. etc. The writing is, for lack of a better word, blah.

But there are gorgeously sweet illustrations. Julia Denos' swirling watercolors are exquisitely delightful and I hope she gets the chance to illustrate a better book someday...

ISBN: 140031321X; Published October 2008 by Tom Nelson; Borrowed from the library

No comments: