Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, retold by Eric Shanower, art by Skottie Young

I finally got a copy of this to look at through ILL and I am definitely buying it for our library! Our ancient but beloved Oz books still check out, so there will be interest. I consider Eric Shanower to be the only contemporary truly "Ozzy" author and so I am not surprised that his retelling perfectly captures the flavor of the original story and keeps all the best bits! The art recreates the creepy and weirdly logical world of Baum (although I found the Scarecrow's eyes a bit over the top freaky) without being flavored by the movie. I can't wait for the next adaptation!

Verdict: If you have Oz fans, go for it - if you don't, this is likely to make some!


ISBN: 978-0785129219; Published September 2009 by Marvel; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Purchased for my personal collection

No comments: