Friday, February 5, 2010

Guinea PI: Hamster and Cheese by Colleen af Venable

I bought a couple graphic novels from Graphic Universe (Lerner) and they are here! Mr. Badger and Mrs. Fox: The Meeting is a simple, sweet little story. I ended up putting it in the easy readers, since I have decided to shelve easy reader comics IN the easy readers, because they weren't checking out in the juvenile comics and I have made a handy list.

Before I say anything about this comic though, would you all please join me?

"SHE'S SOOO CUUUUTE!!! SQUEEEE!!!"

Ahem. I loves me my guinea pigs. And Sasspants, Guinea PI "It's Guinea Pig! Somebody Stole My G!" is simply adorable. She just wants to read, eat, and relax. But an irritatingly hyperactive little koala (koala??) is desperate for help and sure that Sasspants is just the one to solve the Mystery of the Missing Sandwich. I thought about putting this one in easy readers, b/c it's a simple little story and very funny and the vocabulary is at a good level for a beginning reader, but the dialogue of the different animals is a little too complicated on top of the name-switching and I think a beginning reader might find it frustrating to keep track of all the different elements.

This doesn't mean I will refrain from recommending it to all small children wandering about in the vicinity of the easy readers, of course.

Verdict: Cute, sassy, and squee-ingly funny, I'm looking forward to more of this series!

ISBN: 978-0761345985; Published sometime between 1997 and 2010 by Lerner (Graphic Universe); Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Purchased for my personal collection.

No comments: