Monday, January 4, 2010

Bad News for Outlaws: The remarkable life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshall by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson, illustrated by R. Gregory Christie

There's a discussion going on about "race, publishing and Cybils". One of the things mentioned was that all the Cybils nonfiction finalists featuring African-Americans were about slavery and/or civil rights. I'm sort of paraphrasing, go look at the discussion yourself for all the ins and outs.

Anyways. This is something that's driven me nuts - I have a small, fairly homogenous community, a small library, and a small budget, but I do want diversity in my collection so kids can learn about other races and cultures. But there's a limit to how many books about the same topic I can - or will - buy, no matter how good. For example, I don't care how many awards/reviews/stars it's gotten, I absolutely refuse to buy one more book about African-Americans and jazz. Enough is enough. So.....I was very excited when this book I had heard about popped up from another library in our consortium.

Bad News for Outlaws is a rip-roarin', excitin' tale of the Wild West - and it's all true! The story of the amazing, bigger than life Bass Reeves is a tale of amazing feats and courage. The author has written it with a Western twang and flavor and included plenty of background information and further resources. I am definitely marking this to nominate for Cybils next year!

Verdict: Highly recommended!


ISBN: 978-0822567646; Published November 2009 by Carolrhoda Books; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library

No comments: