Monday, January 11, 2010

All the world by Liz Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Marla Frazee

When I first started seeing reviews for this, I was thinking, Marla Frazee, what have you DONE? Kids don't like inspirational goop, it's just for the parents. We need picture books with solid PLOTS! I've already been suckered into buying All in a Day (hey, it was Cynthia Rylant! My director wanted it! It's boooooring!)

So I x'ed this off my order list. But....it is Marla Frazee, so I thought I'd better borrow it and take a look.

Oh, Marla Frazee how could I ever have doubted you! You picked a lovely writer to illustrate and a story I can proudly hand out to parents and kids. The simple text marches through a day from a visit to the beach, farmer's market, playing by the lake, storm, dinner at a family restaurant, family evening at home, and bed. The text has a peaceful chant, perfect for bedtime stories or family repetition on a long drive.

And, of course, Marla Frazee perfectly complements the text, putting together the simple words into a story and capturing every aspect of the world in the glowing colors of the earth and sky.

Verdict: Utterly satisfying, highly recommended

ISBN: 978-1416985808; Published September 2009 by Beach Lane Books; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library

No comments: