Friday, February 20, 2009

Shark and Lobster's amazing undersea adventures by Viviane Schwarz, colored by Joel Stewart

Tigers! They creep up on you in the dark!

I don't know why it took me so long to read this book, considering that I am the WORLD'S BIGGEST FAN of There Are Cats In This Book. I think I looked at it once and it just didn't grab me. Every reader knows that there are reading moods, and I just wasn't in a shark reading mood.

Anyhow, I finally read it. And loved it! Not as much as the cats, of course (Don't worry, guys, I still like you best!) but very much. It's slightly maniacal and menacing humor would appeal to both adults and children. Shark and his friend lobster are just chatting one day when suddenly...they realize that tigers are SCARY. Tigers could be creeping up on them right now! They have to prepare! And so begins an insane building project culminating in a journey to the deep, dark, depths of the sea to bring back...well, you'll have to read the book yourself. If Alice ever fell into the ocean, she'd undoubtably meet Shark and Lobster and feel right at home. Only one quibble, because this book reads vertically instead of horizontally, it's kinda hard to use in storytime. At least for me, possibly some of you more coordinated librarians out there can manage it.

Verdict: Sadly out of print, but definitely worth looking for used on Amazon.

ISBN: 978-0763629106; Published May 2006 by Candlewick; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library (before my time); Added to my personal wishlist

No comments: