Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My cousin the alien by Pamela Service, illustrated by Mike Gorman

Do you like funny books? Do you like aliens? Are you ready for chapters? Do you want a quick, relaxing read? Do you yearn for tight plots and perfect prose? Look no farther....

The aliens have arrived!

Pamela Service's new beginning chapter book series, Alien Agent, is all of the above and more! Despite having read the second book in the series, Camp Alien, first, I was kept guessing all the way to the end of My Cousin, the Alien, the first title in the series. The characters' voices are authentic and hilarious, and the fast-paced action will draw in even the most reluctant reader. The black and white illustrations add a wacky dimension to the story, but there's serious moments too.

I can't wait to see a whole new generation discover Pamela Service! They're gonna love her!

Verdict: These books are consistently popular at our library and I read each installment with delight and can't wait to pass them on to the kids. They're especially popular among third graders, as several teachers have used the series as their read-aloud book. Highly recommended.


ISBN: 978-0822576273; Published September 2008 by Carolrhoda; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist

1 comment:

Playing by the book said...

Wow - this is one of the things I'm loving about the themed carnival - I'd never had discovered this review, almost 3 years old otherwise. And yet it sounds like a book my eldest would love! Thanks so much for sharing it today.