Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome to the zoo by Alison Jay



Have I mentioned how much I loooove seek and find books? Well, I've just found another delicious one! A family walks through a very unusual zoo, where the animals mingle with the sightseers and mysterious little stories develop everywhere. I'm not sure how I feel about the "distinctive crackle-varnished" aspect of the artwork, which gives it little cracks, but I looove the images themselves. The penguins are adorably cylindrical (can you tell them apart from the balloons?) the women's skirts are marvelous spots of color, and the elephant, oh the elephant. Do you see his adorable roundness? His perfect plump blueness? I want an elephant like that.
Oh, and there's also a twisty map at the beginning and a series of pictures to find at the end.

Verdict: Best for one-on-one sharing, as the pictures need to be seen up close and it requires a special type of wordless book to be successful in storytime


ISBN: 978-0803731776; Published October 2008 by Dial; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist

1 comment:

Terry Doherty said...

This sounds like a great book. Your enthusiasm for it really shines!